There is no evidence of the clan’s existence in Oviedo as of today because most of their villages and hunting grounds were destroyed prior to the arrival of other people from other region.
The people who settled in this region after the Timucua referred themselves as Lake Jesup Community. The name of the town Oviedo came later. This community went ahead to establish modern developments in the area such as conservation areas, recreational facilities, parks, shopping centers and housing developments. They also built modern interstate roads that cut across the state of Florida to date.
Early Settlers In Oviedo
Early settlers in Oviedo sustained their livelihoods through farming the fertile land in the area. They grew crops such as citrus and celery and transported their produced to Sanford and Orlando for sale. The city of Orlando was accessible via wagon roads but the most widely used means of transport in the area was via steam ships and smaller boats. The ships and boats were docked at the Mitchell and Wharf dock. Mail got to the city through a riverboat that docked at least twice a week before a post office was opened. A Swedish immigrant by the name Andrew Aulin was appointed head of the post office because of his unique ability to speak 4 distinct languages and also his love for reading. He was tasked with naming the post office.
Renaming of The City
The area had for many years been referred to as the Lake Jesup Community. This however changed in 1879 when the head of the post office (Andrew Aulin) decided to name the post office Oviedo. The town and the surrounding area would adopt this name as well. Oviedo is a Spanish name that Andrew saw to be befitting to the area because of Florida’s love for the Spanish culture and heritage. There is actually a city in Spain called Oviedo that was establish much earlier in the 8th Century. Both Oviedo in Florida and Oviedo in Spain have very close ties because of the magnificent architecture of early buildings and structures. The two cities are informally recognized as sister cities and share a lot in terms of culture and friendship which is great for the communities that live in these two regions.
The city was formally incorporated in the year 1925 and initially had a population of around 800 people. Today, as per the 2010 US Census, the city has a population of over 30000 people. Oviedo is considered part of the Orlando, Kissimmee and Sanford area. There are numerous historical buildings that still stand in the area. Some of the earliest houses in the town such as the First Methodist Church of Oviedo, the R.W. Estes Celery Company Historic District and the Nelson and Company Historic District are listed as national historical sites.
The current community is very much different from the community that lived in there in the 1900s. People no longer depend on farming celery and citrus for their livelihoods. Many residents of the city, however, still grow this plants in their backyards. The city as it currently stands, is one of the most popular sites and attractions for tourists in the greater Florida area.